Although rice is produced over vast areas of the world, the physical requirements for growing rice are limited to certain areas. Production typically requires high average temperatures during the growing season, a plentiful supply of water applied in a timely fashion, a smooth land surface for uniform flooding and drainage, and a subsoil hardpan that prevents water loss.
Rice Production Number
Top Counties (5 yr. average)
|Rank||County||Production (pounds)||Harvested Acres||Yield/Acre (pounds)|
|10.||Fort Bend||55.0 mil||7,900||6,962|
|Texas Total||1.4 bil||204,200||6,842|
Top States (5 yr. average)
|Rank||County||Production (bushels)||Harvested Acres||Yield/Acre (bushels)|
|U.S. Total||21.6 bil||3,241,400||6,674|
- Rice is a symbol of life and fertility, which is why it was a tradition to throw at weddings.
- Cooked rice swells at least three times its original weight.
- There are more than 40,000 varieties of cultivated rice said to exist.
- Honda means “main rice field.” Toyota means “bountiful rice field.”
- The Chinese word for rice is the same as their word for food.
- Rice is a complex carbohydrate, which fuels the body.
- Rice protein, when compared to other grains, is one of the highest quality proteins.
- Rice has all 8 amino acids, necessary for strong muscles.
- Rice is also a good source of other essential nutrients – thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, phosphorus, iron and potassium.
- Rice contains NO fat, NO cholesterol and NO sodium.
The properties of rice make it a highly desirable ingredient in processed foods such as cereals, snack foods, baby foods, frozen dinners, sauce thickeners and other products. Each part of the rice grain has many uses:
- Rice Husks
- Rice Bran
- Broken Rice
- Rice Flour
- Rice Milk
- Rice Pudding
- Rice Starch
- Rice Straw
- Rice used in Beverage Making
- Rice Paper
- Rice Glue
- Rice Cakes
- Rice Vinegar
- Rice Soy Milk
- Red Yeast Rice
- Rice based food products
Did You Know?
Grains of rice in a salt shaker will help keep salt free flowing due to its moisture absorption qualities.